Rewarding Max from time to time for being such a good boy is bound to make him happy. In addition to toys and other products that you can get at the store, you can pour your heart into making a DIY accessory. It could be a couple of toys to boost his plaything portfolio or a comfy piece of cushion for him to snuggle up to. Sound like a plan? Then you should totally check out these exciting DIYs for your dog:
- Braided T-Shirt Toy
For this, all you need is a pair of scissors and 2-3 old T-shirts (preferably cotton).
- Cut the hems off the shirts,
- Make even slits that are about 2-3″ wide along the base of the shirts, then rip them up to get the slits,
- Tie off one end of the strips after you’ve gathered them together, and then divide the strips into thirds,
- Braid starting from the tied part and make your way down to the untied portion of the shirt, all the while ensuring that your braids are tight,
- Once you’ve braided all the way to the bottom, tie it off there and cut off strips that won’t be useful.
And then you would have made the perfect toy for Max!
- A Chew Toy
Making your pup a chew toy is perhaps one of the easiest DIYs. It doesn’t require any cutting up, or braiding, or sewing. All you have to do is:
- Find an old sock that is still pretty firm,
- Wash if dirty. You don’t want Max tasting your feet, do you?
- Get a clean tennis ball,
- Stick it in the sock, and tie the open end up.
And voila, a great chewing toy for your beloved Max.
- Suitcase Dog Bed
Your pup might have a bed in his designated room or corner, but does he have one in the room where he spends most of his time? The living room. A suitcase dog bed is a super convenient way to solve this minor problem. For starters:
- Look for a suitcase that your dog would fit into width-wise,
- Get a regular density foam insert from a store that you trust,
- Get fabric that would serve as a covering or case for your foam,
- Cut your foam up so that it perfectly in the bottom of your suitcase,
- Slip your mattress into your pre-sewn cover, make it removable so that you can wash it,
- Fit the foam into your suitcase.
Watch Max turn this bed into his watchtower.
- Dog Shampoo
Take a break from harsh chemicals and go a bit natural. All you need for your dog shampoo is one cup of dish soap, one cup of apple cider vinegar, two ounces of glycerin, and a bottle to pour your shampoo in. Vinegar has antibacterial and antiseptic properties that calm inflammation and skin irritations, glycerin also helps moisturize your dog’s fur and prevent irritation. You can get glycerin at a drugstore.
- Pour all your ingredients into a jar, starting with the dish soap,
- Mix by shaking the ingredients thoroughly until even mixing has taken place,
- Pour the mixture into your bottle and keep until the next time you want to wash your pup.